Skip to main content

Lonely. Sad. Exhausted.

It always seems when I think I'm doing well, something comes and knocks me over. I shouldn't ever speak of being stable. It's all relative after all. So the past couple of weeks I have been feeling the descent into melancholy, depression, sadness, stuck, miserable...Constant hamster wheel of life is taking its toll. I sobbed and screamed in my car today, between picking up children and grocery shopping and my psychiatrist appointment. My psychiatrist wants me to trial another medication. I want to not trial another medication, but I also do not want to die. Suicidal thoughts have been popping up a bit more. A telltale sign I'm not coping so well. My food hasn't been optimal, exercise has not been optimal. All the things and a bag of chips. I have considered running away, moving out, separating from my partner. I am so stuck and miserable with my life. I have a very good friend who says I should stop being a doormat. I barely have time to breath space into life for myself. Today after doing all the things, I came home to more things to do and my partner just on his computer. Sure he has health issues, medical conditions, but he is capable of doing stuff, even in a limited capacity. I've given up being angry and pointing out how unfair it all is. Because I am wasting my breath. I have to completely fall apart for my family to notice. It is unfair..Life is unfair.
I went for a walk in the rain yesterday. It was cold and wet and windy. I was an icicle in boots and sunglasses. A good friend insisted on picking me up and we spent the evening talking. Well I cried a lot initially and then we brain stormed ideas to make life better. Life won't get better. And that right there is the thought process that has led my psychiatrist to trialling new meds. I haven't started them. I'm terrifed to. If they spiral me into a vicious cycle of medication rollercoaster. It could be another year of hell or worse death anyway. Especially if I'm panicking again. At least now I only have ruminating thoughts of suicide, not the panicked, desperate compulsion to throw myself off a cliff thoughts.  Do I want to take the risk? No not really. It could lead to me feeling better too I suppose, but my track record with medication is not good.
I have observed family members over many years that have struggled like me. Those in challenging situations and with mental health issues. There's not a whole lot of success stories in my family. Social isolation, lower socio-economic status, dysfunctional family structures all coinciding with mental disorders. Most stories are sad. I'll admit the mental health services are not adequate, that's a very important contributing factor. But my family does have a predisposition for dysfunction and poor mental health. I feel like a salmon swimming up stream. I feel doomed. In spite of all my waxing lyrical about joy and peace, mostly I'm sad that my life looks like a mess and feels like pushing a massive boulder uphill and every so often another boulder comes hurtling along that I have to add to the original boulder. Eventually I'll just sail back down the hill and get crushed by it all. Sigh. Not a happy blog post. I'm sure the next boulder is hurtling its way down the hill to me. Until then I will wait here. Lonely, sad, exhausted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shooting Stars

My Mum died. Her last breath of life left her at 9.37pm, 8th September. I held her hand and kissed her forehead as she left. I had made a "Mum" playlist of all her favourite songs I could remember. She slipped away listening to the song Could I Have This Dance by Anne Murray. It was hers and Dad's song. The next song that played was Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland. She would sing this to us when we were babies. And then to the grandbabies. They say babies decide when it's time for them come, to be born. My beautiful mother picked her moment to die. She had impeccable timing. If she didn't. It was one hell of an extraordinary coincidence.  I am heartbroken.  Bereft.  Distraught.  Grief stricken. All the words and feelings and states of being that convey loss. Somehow it's still not enough. Two days leading up to Mum dying, I  would go outside in the evening and look at the sky. Silently praying for a miracle. Each night I seen shooting stars...falling stars. I...

Chance Encounters

Last week I put my script in at the pharmacy for my "keep Fred in his box" medication. When I went to the counter to pick them up, the man at the counter handed them to me and asked why I was taking them, "There's a few things you can take that for is all", he said. I resisted the urge to blurt out that my brain is broken and that it is an anti-Fred, and just explained it was being used as an antidepressant. He went on to ask if I would be interested in some supplements that could help. "Yeah sure, why not", I said. I figured what could it hurt. He writes down the supplements on a piece of paper, but also walks me through some of the ones available at the pharmacy. The list was for vitamin B, vitamin D, flaxseed oil and probiotics. He also let me know about a book that he recommends and a group that runs seminar type sessions on depression and brain health, among other things. I was very grateful, "Thanks for helping me out. I think I was close t...